Whether you are figuring out how to choose the best cooktop or trying to settle on the ideal washing machine, appliance shopping requires some forethought. At the end of the day, you must pick what is right for you and your family which is why our Grand Rapids appliance repair experts are here to help you plan.
Here is what you need to know when looking for a new dishwasher.
What Are the Different Types of Dishwashers?
Like with every major appliance, there are several variations to choose from. Each type falls in its own price category and boasts unique features that may or may not fit your preferences.
In the world of dishwashers, there are 3 main types you will encounter. Those include:
- Built-in or undercounter dishwashers
- Panel-ready dishwashers
- Portable dishwashers
Something to keep in mind while you are shopping:often overlap. For example, a can also be a panel-ready dishwasher. There are also top and front control dishwashers to choose from which dictate the location of the washing control panel.
Think about your individual needs when weighing each of your options. If a certain dishwasher does not seem practical for your living situation, it might be wise to pass and keep looking. Remember that no matter what you decide to go with, our appliance repair professionals are available to assist you with any dishwasher problems that arise.
Benefits of Each
A dishwasher that works for you may not work for someone else. Taking the time to think about what suits you and your kitchen is important so you can get the most out of your new appliance.
Here are the benefits of each type of dishwasher.
The most common type of dishwasher is the traditional built-in or undercounter variety. You will find that built-in dishwashers come in both 24 in. and 18 in. sizes and do not have finished sides as they are meant to fit in between your cabinets and underneath your countertop.
A few benefits of a built-in dishwasher are:
- No counter space is occupied and only a minimal amount of floor space is used.
- Often feature specialized washing and drying settings, larger capacities, and possibly a third rack for more dishes.
- Permanent connection to your plumbing so no need to route water from your sink.
- Placement underneath cabinets can help buffer noise.
A type of built-in dishwasher, panel-ready dishwashers are more personalized to your kitchen. For instance, you can choose a customized exterior to match your existing (or new) cabinetry. This allows the dishwasher to better blend in for a streamlined look.
A few benefits of a panel-ready dishwasher are:
- Ability to create a cohesive, tied-together appearance within your kitchen.
- Less industrial look compared to traditional dishwashers.
- Possess similar helpful features as most other built-in options so there is a wide variety to select from.
Moving away from permanent, set-in-place options, portable dishwashers are designed for those with limited kitchen space. A faucet connection is needed for this type of appliance as they do not have their own plumbing setup. Depending on what you need, you can choose a standard 24 in., 18 in., or countertop model.
A few benefits of a portable dishwasher are:
- No permanent installation means freedom to take your dishwasher with you.
- Ideal for those who have tight city apartments, trailers, or RV’s.
- Can function as extra counter space if a wooden surface is present.
- Often sold at a lower price point than built-in dishwashers.
Important Things to Consider Before Buying
Before you go through with that final purchase, there are a few other things you should mull over. One of which is capacity. How big do you need your dishwasher to be for your family? Dishwashers often come in standard, compact, and slim models so choose what is best for the size of your household.
The style of the dishwasher is also important. Would you prefer your appliance have a stainless-steel, black, white, or off-white finish? How about the look of the handle on the dishwasher door or the control panel? A dishwasher’s style can impact your overall satisfaction.
Other defining features to keep in mind include:
- Adjustable or removable dish racks
- Level of cleaning power
- Noise level (measured in decibels or dBA)
- Availability of special wash cycles and heated dry
- Type of interior (plastic or stainless-steel tubs)
- Energy efficiency rating
Call Us for Dishwasher Repair
Our appliance repair specialists in Grand Rapids, MI, want you to be satisfied with the dishwasher you own and are here for you if you ever require service or need to access our inventory of major appliance parts. Give Apex Appliance a call today at (616) 363-9894 or contact us online.