Did you know today’s dishwashers are than washing dishes by hand? They’re also more effective at your dishes — and, of course, they’re more convenient for most people’s schedules than washing by hand.
These are just a few reasons why having a malfunctioning dishwasher can be so frustrating. If your machine is on the fritz, you’ll want it fixed quickly.
But how do you know if you should repair or replace your dishwasher? Can you fix it yourself, or should you call a professional?
If you’re not sure, you can always call our appliance repair technicians. We’ll guarantee a service visit within 24 hours to diagnose the problem. But if you’d prefer to do some research first, here are some factors that may help you make a decision.
Simple Fixes to Your Dishwasher
Every household appliance requires some regular maintenance to keep it in top shape. You may want to try incorporating these tips into your maintenance routine before calling a professional:
- Use the right amount of detergent. If you use too much, your machine may get too soapy, leaving residue that builds up over time. Check your owner’s manual to make sure you’re using the correct amount.
- Use rinse aid. Are your dishes covered in spots after a wash? Your dishwasher isn’t to blame. When water droplets dry, they can leave minerals behind on your dishes. A rinse aid will prevent water in your dishwasher from forming droplets in the first place.
- Clean your filter. Every dishwasher has at least one filter. Food particles from your dishes go through here. Some filters are self-cleaning, but even they can occasionally become clogged. If your dishwasher isn’t cleaning effectively or has a smell, checking the filter is a good place to start.
Professional Repair for Your Dishwasher
If your dishwasher is still malfunctioning after going through some simple maintenance, then it might be time to call an appliance repair service. Here are some scenarios that typically require professional help:
- The water isn’t draining.
- The water isn’t heating.
- Your dishwasher isn’t drying.
- Your dishwasher is making strange noises.
- Doors/latches/other parts are visibly broken.
Our independent, family-owned repair service is equipped to help you fix your appliances. According to , “People who used independent repair shops were more satisfied with the repairs than those who used factory service, which is consistent with what we’ve found previously. And repairs cost less, too.”
Dishwasher Parts for Self-Repair
Most cases require professional repair. But occasionally, some clients have the experience, skills, and tools necessary to repair their appliance on their own. If that’s the case, you can always ask our repair experts about our vast inventory of appliance parts.
When to Replace Your Dishwasher
It’s always a good idea to have a professional repair technician come out to diagnose your appliance’s problem before you start shopping for a replacement. But if you want to plan ahead, here are some signs that it might be time to start browsing:
- Your dishwasher regularly dies in the middle of a cycle.
- The dishwasher is more than 10 years old.
- You continue to experience problems with your dishwasher even after it is repaired.
Repair Your Dishwasher Today
Before you can fix the problem with your dishwasher, you first need to know what it is. Our Grand Rapids, MI, appliance repair technicians can diagnose and fix your machine’s problem in 24 hours or less. Call Apex Appliance today at (616) 363-9894, or contact us online.